In our house, we get so excited for fresh food now! It’s amazing the shift since before we started ordering Bountiful Baskets. Even now, I go to the grocery store to buy produce and come home with nothing… It’s so much easier to make myself eat it when someone else is picking it out for me. Sad as it is, it’s fact.
This past weekend was the first basket we’ve been able to get since right after Thanksgiving. Breath of fresh air… or bite of fresh food 🙂 Here’s everything we got this time – Oranges, lemons, a mango, apples, kiwi, avocados, cucumbers, carrots (huge!), beets, kale, chilies, spaghetti squash, grapefruit, cauliflower, ginger, onions, and parsley… I think that’s everything.
It takes a little bit of time, but it’s become my preference to take a few hours after picking up our basket to get everything prepped. What I mean is – How are we going to use this stuff? Typically I chop it up to freeze, but some things get cut up for the fridge, too. It makes using this food so much easier later on.
Here’s what I did with a few of these things….
- Kiwi – Cut up to eat out of the fridge
- Onions – Diced, separated, and frozen! I cry like a baby cutting up onions, so this is an easy way to do it all at once.
- Carrots – cut up and and frozen. Perfect to drop into soup or a quick stove-top meal.
- Avocados – Pureed. I left this in the fridge so I could use it in smoothies, but I may have to mix up a batch of cookies later…
- Cauliflower – Pureed. Hoping to try out a ‘Deceptively Delicious’ recipe
- Beets – Greens chopped for smoothies. Bulb cut up and frozen.
- Mango – Chunked and frozen for smoothies.
- Kale – Ready for smoothies!
And then the extra special thing this time was ginger… I had no idea what to do with this. Friends suggested ideas on storing it, but I didn’t know what to DO with it so I got on Pinterest. It’s a super dangerous place, I know, but this time I found a big win – Ginger Chews. Great recipe and my first attempt at something like this!
After it cooled in the dish, I cut them into pieces and put in the fridge for later. I did cook it a little long so it’s more like hard candy, but I like hard candy, too! 🙂
And now we have so much gooood food to eat this week. Prepped and ready- Yum!